Sue Scheff: Happy New Year's! January 1, 1985 - 25 Years Ago
- The cost of a postage stamp went up to .22 cents on 2/17/85 from .20 cents.
- Ronald Reagan (Republican) was our President.
- Super Bowl – San Francisco d. Miami (38-16)
- World Series – Kansas City d. St. Louis Cardinals (4-3)
- NBA Championship- LA Lakers d. Boston (4-2)
- Rock Hudson dies of AIDS at age 59. He’s the first major star to fall victim to the disease.
- Madonna launches her first road show, the Virgin Tour.
- Miss America: Sharlene Wells (UT)
- Hit Movies: Kiss of the Spider Woman, Out of Africa, Prizzi’s Honor, The Color Purple
- Books: Robert Bly, Loving a Woman in Two Worlds -Keri Hulme, The Bone People -Larry McMurtry, Lonesome Dove
- Record of the Year: “What’s Love Got to Do With It,” Tina Turner
- Album of the Year: Can’t Slow Down, Lionel Richie (Motown)
- Song of the Year: “What’s Love Got to Do With It,” Graham Lyle and Terry Britten, songwriters
- In 1985, Michael Jackson was at the peak of his powers. He’d won eight Grammy awards for “Thriller,” the most successful album of all time - and had just released “We Are The World,” a charity single with almost every major name in pop that sold in the double-digit millions.
- My daughter was born on January 1st, 1985! Happy 25th Birthday to her!
Take a few minutes to watch the video - 25 years ago, yet seems like yesterday. Above is a cover of TV Guide in 1985.
Also on Examiner.